Yellow fog light covers...

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Dark Pony
Scoobytruck Contributer

Yellow fog light covers...

Post by Dark Pony »

I've seen them all over but where the heck do i order the lens?!! any help is appreciated :)
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Yellow fog light covers...

Post by YBajaSteve »

most pics you see are just clear vinyl cutouts that you add on, like mine. I got em off ebay for under 15 bucks if i remember right. check out my link in my sig. second page botttom
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Dark Pony
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Dark Pony »

so those are basically just a cover? in your pics your fogs look really bright!!! are they factory?
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

they are sylvania bulbs, thats all i recall. they were in there when i bought it. the vinyl i bought off ebay is just a clear thin vinyl "graphic" basically that is sticky on one side. R-Vinyl on ebay cuts all their vinyls to size, and it went on pretty easily. you definatly have to use a heat gun or blow dryer to heat up the vinyl so it forms around the curves on our lights. not tooo hard at all. and i think the fogs look soo bright on my pics on there because the light is soo yellow compared to my headlight it makes them stand out even more. I also have them angled up a lil more then i think they were before, so they light up more of the road
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

I just ordered some of those yellow fog light covers from eBay. I like how they look. :wink:

Well, I got them in and put them on...wow, I had to fight with them. Other than wrinkles and bubbles all over the place they don't look that bad! HAHA! For the life of me, I can't figure out how to put these kind of things on smoothly. I even used a blow dryer on the second one just to see if it would help a little. It did, but there's still quite a few wrinkles in it. Ah well. As long as people don't look too close... [smilie=beadygrinner.gif]
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Try Rockblocker..

They have it various colors for our cars headlights, and fog lamps

http://rockblocker.com/store/35513.htm
Turbo
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

I did it with a hairdryer and it worked fine, you need to really really heat them up so the vinyl is soft and actually bends around the curves of the light. If you take your time and just heat up the vinyl enough that its almost kind of hard to handle with out gloves, the vinyl really can mold to your lights. I came out with maybe 1-2 very small bubbles in each. IT CAN BE DONE!!! :D
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Ohhhhhhhhh. Okay. I'll have to order some new ones and try it again!! They look great but I would like to try to get it one w/o all the wrinkles. Now I just hope I don't get pulled over for them being illegal. I looked all over the Revised Code of Washington and the WAC and can find nothing on the color of the fog lights. I know Oregon allows white, amber, and yellow. I just wish Washington would make their rules on fog light colors easier to find. :shock: [smilie=beadygrinner.gif]

I wonder what the difference is with the ones listed on the link above..the rockblocker link. It's almost $20. I bought mine off of e-bay for a few bucks. Hmmm...different material being used? I don't have a job right now so I have to stick with the e-bay ones but they seem to work great! ...once I grab that hair dryer. :wink:
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Just to make sure, Im sure you did this, well I hope. But you use water or a soapy mixture on the lens and the sticky side of the vinyl AND a hair dryer, and like the directions say, start from the center and kind of work your way out, I started on the center top, with a hairdryer, smoothing out the vinyl, and worked my way around the edge, using the hair dryer to heat the vinyl and using the straight edge to push the water out from underneath the vinyl. as long as there is enough water underneath the vinyl, it pushes the air out with it, and you come out with very minimal bubbles. I would HIGHLY recommend RVinyl on ebay, the vinyl was nice and thick, definatly not cheap feeling to me. And the cut is as perfect as i would think it could be. And its a great price!! :)
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Actually, ummmm, I put it on dry. I thought in the directions it said you could. HAHA! I did use soapy water to clean the entire area first, but then I dried it off. I'll try it again wet. :wink:
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

I found these made by hella http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4275 They're a little more expensive but they're designed for the 500 series lights (which are not the factory fog light) I'm also considering upgrading to Hellas 100W bulbs although I'm a little worried about how much heat they'll put out... but can you have too much light?
Last edited by gifters on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

100w bulbs in a 55w wire harness is a bad idea. it can melt the wire connectors and cause more damage than their worth, you usually need to upgrade the wire harness if you want all that juice to stay contained.

and those hella shields look to be just like i was mentioning about the thin vinyl i applied to mine. the fact is says it can be removed easily makes me hope they arent just cling on or something. the ebay ones i bought cost like 15 for the pair, and theyve held up fine so far.