Hella Fog Lights

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Hella Fog Lights

Post by Danfzzl »

I've been wanting more fogs on my Baja since the moment i got it... so i took the first step and put 2 up front. I like the wing idea that ive seen but the wing itself looked to be WAY too big. It looked like the fogs themselves were in the way of the normal driving lights and i cant have that lol i decided to make my own wing and mount the lights a little lower so they wouldn't block my radiator at all.

I started with 2 blank plates of Aluminum, i laid out and drilled 6 holes in each and on one i welded on some mounting Brackets with a single hole i had drilled into them previously.

my plate was jacket up from my previous car... somebody backed into the plate with a hitch and i had to beat the crap out of it to get it flat again lol

There are only 2 metal bolts holding the front bumper on... the rest are the plastic clips you will see all around the car. you can see about 5 of these if you just pop your hood, they are right on the bumper.

RUST!!! are you kidding me!? there are 2 of these supports in the front bumper, 1 on each side. this one has some pretty serious deterioration goin on. so i figure after the winter i will replace it. the other one was just fine.

I taped up my Plate to the bumper and transfered the holes from the plate to the bumper and then drilled them. I had to enlarge the holes a few times to make sure the plate sat level.

As you can see after i got the bracket mounted the top/middle of the bumper was bowing because of the compression. i still got it to fit back on and it looks just fine.

The 2 outside bolts on the top are not through the License plate, but just through the 2 Aluminum Plates. The other 4 are through the License plate.

i had to Hack Saw the foam from the bumper for the interior plate to fit correctly... that was NOT fun!

Here is the Final Product without the Lights.

I REALLY like the way they came out! i think the location is absolutely perfect! The lights i have mounted are Hella 500 Driving Lights. I Plan on getting a Roof Rack and Mounting 4 more Driving Lights up there... the ones on the front will replaced will actual Hella 500 Fog lights. These Driving lights do just fine though, they are like high beams on steroids lol let me know what you think!
Dan
http://theravensedge.com/
Baja Mods: Class 1 hitch, Dash light conversion to blue, Ozzbros bed cover, 2 Hella 500 Fog lights Mounted on front bumped bracket
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Hella Fog Lights

Post by Zooom »

know what I think...

I think you didn't beat the plate flat enough!!! :wink: :lol: :D

the hacksaw for the foam bumper absorber could have been easily avoided by use of a Dremel (type) tool...just sayin...

otherwise...looks great! are they wired to a seperate switch or to the factory foglite switch?
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

Zooom wrote:know what I think...

I think you didn't beat the plate flat enough!!! :wink: :lol: :D

the hacksaw for the foam bumper absorber could have been easily avoided by use of a Dremel (type) tool...just sayin...

otherwise...looks great! are they wired to a seperate switch or to the factory foglite switch?
yeah i wish i had a Dremel Handy but all i had was the Hacksaw lol i ran a separate switch right next to the fog, cargo lamp, and cruise switches... ill snap a pic tonight of it. [smilie=666.gif]
Dan
Baja Mods: Class 1 hitch, Dash light conversion to blue, Ozzbros bed cover, 2 Hella 500 Fog lights Mounted on front bumped bracket
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

you know what you should do next... is figure out how to wire the fog lights to work independent as well [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

gifters wrote:you know what you should do next... is figure out how to wire the fog lights to work independent as well [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
whitch fogs? the stock ones? cuz my new ones work independently on a switch i put put in.
Dan
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Danfzzl wrote:
gifters wrote:you know what you should do next... is figure out how to wire the fog lights to work independent as well [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
whitch fogs? the stock ones? cuz my new ones work independently on a switch i put put in.
yes the stock ones... please [smilie=battingeyes.gif] I'm gonna do my best and try and figure it out... I have a Haynes manual shipping to me now in hopes to figure it out... only time will tell I guess
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

gifters wrote:
Danfzzl wrote:
yes the stock ones... please [smilie=battingeyes.gif] I'm gonna do my best and try and figure it out... I have a Haynes manual shipping to me now in hopes to figure it out... only time will tell I guess
yeah i hate it when they turn off when i flip my brights on! that shouldn't be too hard to figure out... i also wanna turn off my DRL (Daytime Running Lights) so that i can actually turn my lights off 100% and control them all independently. if you find anything out post it on here! 8)
Dan
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

Wow! I think that turned out awesome. I would totally kill to have a welder and to know how to weld. You should sell something like this. I agree the placement is perfect! Is that Stainless Steel you used so no worry about rusting? How much to make me one!!!??? :)

my thread about disabling my DRL's has been pushed to the top again, so its all right in there, if your wondering about getting rid of the DRL's. Independant fog light mod is still out of my reach tho

edit-- i see it was aluminum.. cool
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

What a buzz kill, I could have started my car on fire :(

I guess I'll have to do a little research on some different bulbs... right now I'm looking at Osram Nightbreakers for fogs.... and for headlights... I'd only upgrade to higher wattage bulbs if I could find a factory harness that is upgraded and factory housings but then I'd be short an arm, a leg, a kidney and half my liver, oh well.

Wait... further research shows I'm gonna buy all my bulbs from here... http://www.danielsternlighting.com/prod ... ducts.html

OMG I emailed Hella about using 100W bulbs with the Factory Fog Lights and The Sport Activity Lights before I mentioned it here.... I just got this reply about what upgrades I would need to make (I figure they made the parts they would talk me out of it) "No wiring upgrade needed. This will generate a lot of heat so monitor the housings" [smilie=asa.gif]
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Ok... I'm now thinking about making my own plug and play harness, I've done the research and running relays with some heavy duty wiring seems to be my best option for better lighting. The plan is to make a harness for the Headlights, foglights and the horn (which will be replaced with a super tone sometime before I actually make the harness) the only thing is that the component parts making the harness are pretty expensive from the places I would trust purchasing from. I'm looking at $100 just for the component parts, does anyone have a reputable sight that offers quality components? I'm looking for Male and Female plugs for the lights, relays and inline fuses...

Danfzzl, what did you use for wiring harnesses?
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

gifters wrote:Ok... I'm now thinking about making my own plug and play harness, I've done the research and running relays with some heavy duty wiring seems to be my best option for better lighting. The plan is to make a harness for the Headlights, foglights and the horn (which will be replaced with a super tone sometime before I actually make the harness) the only thing is that the component parts making the harness are pretty expensive from the places I would trust purchasing from. I'm looking at $100 just for the component parts, does anyone have a reputable sight that offers quality components? I'm looking for Male and Female plugs for the lights, relays and inline fuses...

Danfzzl, what did you use for wiring harnesses?
when i bought my Hella 500's they came with all of the wiring, in line fuse, relay, pretty much everything you need. you have an option to wire them into the high beams so that when you flip on the highs the fogs turn on as well. or run it to a separate switch like i did.
Dan
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

Love the setup !!
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

Absolutely awesome! :mrgreen: I really like what you did. I might do something similar myself, except basically turn the plate upside down so the lights sit higher in front of my grille. This seems a bit more in the budget right now as opposed to a full bull bar (one day! *fingers crossed*) Thank you so much for sharing and for the excellent documentation!
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Looking more closely it doesn't even appear to have wiring to the lights... did you end up feeding wires through the bumper?
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

gifters wrote:Looking more closely it doesn't even appear to have wiring to the lights... did you end up feeding wires through the bumper?
i was ganna run the wires through the plate and through the bumper but i actually forgot about about that till i was finished and i just ran the wires through the open holes in the bumper and it worked perfectly. you can hardly even see the wiring at all. [smilie=666.gif]
Dan