Sirius docking station photos

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Sirius docking station photos

Post by jseabolt »

Like my 96 Explorer, I hardwired the docking station in my Baja. All the wiring is hidden behind the console. Because of MP3 players, CDs are now up there with 8 track and cassette so I removed my 6 disk CD changer and cubby hole and built a mounting plate in it's place and covered it with carbon fiber decal material.

Thanks to Howard Stern coming across adjacent cars stuck in traffic, the newer recievers have a very weak FM transmitter so you'll need to remove the radio and get one of those direct FM antenna device ($20 from Radio Shack) that fits between the car's antenna and radio.

If I had it all to do over again I would have made the plate exactly 7" long and about 4.25" high. I can see a small gap between the plate and silver trim piece.

Here's some photos on how I built the bracket.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd14 ... at/Subaru/
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Sirius docking station photos

Post by YBajaSteve »

looks cool. havent seen something quite like that! nice setup!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Sirius docking station photos

Post by jseabolt »

YBajaSteve wrote:looks cool. havent seen something quite like that! nice setup!
Thanks. Dad like's it so much he wants me to build him one for his 99 Porsche Boxter and his 98 Chevy van so he could swap recievers from one vehicle to another.

After the fact I realized the way the radio support bracket is made, I could have moved the radio to where the cubby hole was location so the plate would be between the heater controls and radio. So the artist and song would be a bit easier to read while driving. Providing there was enough slack in the wiring harness.

If Satelite radio is not your thing, this bracket could also serve as a mounting plate for a GPS, backup camera or cell phone holder.

I was real easy to make. An easier approach would have been to take a 11" X 4" wide piece of metal and bend a 2" lip on each side. But the trouble is I don't have a metal brake and it's hard to get it straight when your trying to bend lips on sheet metal in a bench vice using a hammer.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB