HELP? I broke my tail light!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

gappvembe
Scoobytruck Lurker

HELP? I broke my tail light!

Post by gappvembe »

You read that right. I was backing up in the driveway, and it is a snow icy beast out.
I backed right into our camper's corner.

:oops: :( [smilie=disgust.gif] [smilie=confuzzled.gif] [smilie=crying.gif] [smilie=damn.gif]

Where is the best/cheapest place I can get one? It was the passenger tail light.

Thanks baja community.
njswampbuggy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: HELP? I broke my tail light!

Post by njswampbuggy »

Oh man that sucks big time. I would try car-part.com. It's a data base of junk yards all over the place. Maybe they can hook you up. Outside of that or some site similar, I think you might be at the mercy of the dealership near you. As these trucks are relatively rare folk aren't lining up to make OEM knockoffs. Good luck, hope this helps some.
.....Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey....
gappvembe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by gappvembe »

njswampbuggy wrote:Oh man that sucks big time. I would try car-part.com. It's a data base of junk yards all over the place. Maybe they can hook you up.
Thanks, still waiting on some email responses.

njswampbuggy wrote:Outside of that or some site similar, I think you might be at the mercy of the dealership near you. As these trucks are relatively rare folk aren't lining up to make OEM knockoffs. Good luck, hope this helps some.
Exactly
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

One of my tail lights was cracked and the other had water inside and was discolored. The dealer ones have unpainted black trim, so I wanted one already color matched.

I found a site that polls junkyards nationwide and you can compare prices.

http://car-part.com/

I ordered one from California and the other from Oklahoma.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
gappvembe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by gappvembe »

Yeah someone mentioned that on the NAIOSC forum. I had one ordered for about $60 waited about a week got and email back saying it wasn't up to there standard and wouldn't send to me, so I got a refund. I ended getting a new one (can't remember the link, first subaru parts maybe) for about $115 shipped. The dealerships near me wouldn't call me back. But it's in as of last night, was a pain to change in the cold.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

gappvembe wrote: ended getting a new one (can't remember the link, first subaru parts maybe) for about $115 shipped. The dealerships near me wouldn't call me back. But it's in as of last night, was a pain to change in the cold.
So what color is the plastic trim around the new lens? Is it really unpainted black plastic

I did mine in the cold. Getting the old ones out is a bitch. First, use a socket to undo the two bolts (under a plastic cover that must be pried loose with a flathead screwdriver). Then gently wiggle up and down as you pull back and eventually you can work it loose.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
gappvembe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by gappvembe »

davecoon13 wrote:
gappvembe wrote: ended getting a new one (can't remember the link, first subaru parts maybe) for about $115 shipped. The dealerships near me wouldn't call me back. But it's in as of last night, was a pain to change in the cold.
So what color is the plastic trim around the new lens? Is it really unpainted black plastic

I did mine in the cold. Getting the old ones out is a bitch. First, use a socket to undo the two bolts (under a plastic cover that must be pried loose with a flathead screwdriver). Then gently wiggle up and down as you pull back and eventually you can work it loose.
Yes unpainted black plastic, but better than nothing at all!

BUT... to add insult to injury, I hit a deer yesterday, so into the shop it goes. :|
njswampbuggy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by njswampbuggy »

Dude, you can not catch a break, can ya. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you, but glad you got the rear prob taken care of. Good luck with the new fix.
.....Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey....