seeking bike rack advice

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

candyrapper
Scoobytruck Lurker

seeking bike rack advice

Post by candyrapper »

Does anyone have a bike rack that they like/recommend ? (I have a bed cover so I can't put the bike in the back of the truck) The more I read, the more choices seem to be out on the market now. I am looking at one that either swings away or drops out of the way of the tail gate. Also, I was wondering if the ones that the bike wheels fit into a gutter device are easier to use over the other styles ? some of the reviews say that some models don't rattle the bikes as much as others. That would also be a concern.
bajaman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: seeking bike rack advice

Post by bajaman »

Whenever I want to carry my bike I take off the bed cover & i have just about enough room to put bike in the open back. Usually I leave off the bed cover for the summer. I don't have a bed extender & still fit it in. I would like to get a bed extender instead of a bike rack. In order to use one that swings away or attaches to back, you need first the tow ball attachment. This gets expensive. another way is the roof rack and the bed rack. But you have to remove front tire every time. Least expensive way to do it is get a bed extender & throw bike in the back, tie it down with bungee cords & go.
candyrapper
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by candyrapper »

thanks for the advice, it was helpful. I bought a used 03 that came with the fold out bed extension. So I will try it. can't wait to get out now that the weather is nicer!
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

What kind of Bike...
What kind of bed cover???
my plan is that when i get my ozzbro i am going to add a Locking Blockhead on the top of the cover......why not..dead space....then nothing hanging on the back....
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
candyrapper
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by candyrapper »

It is a hard cover that only lifts a few inches when open. Not sure of the brand but it was on the car when I bought it. It is a yellow 03 with matching cover if that helps to describe it. My bike is a Crossroads made by Specialized and it is sort of a cross between a road bike and a trail bike. Not a light bike.
Packa
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Packa »

We are big bikers and for the longest time we just stood the bikes in the bed with the tailgate down... tying the bikes off wasn't too difficult.

I was able to pick up two fork mounts at Performance Bike for $10 each -- and with $6 in hardware I'd built one of the "make your own" bike racks. It works perfectly, keeping the bikes more stable, immobile actually, than our "stand up" method.
Witchita/04 Turbo
Bob
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Bob »

I just ordered a SportRack for two bikes the model is A 30901. Once I get it I can let you know how it works. It looked like one of the best ones for two bikes. Ordered it off the comp. found the best price their.
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

Packa wrote:We are big bikers and for the longest time we just stood the bikes in the bed with the tailgate down... tying the bikes off wasn't too difficult.

I was able to pick up two fork mounts at Performance Bike for $10 each -- and with $6 in hardware I'd built one of the "make your own" bike racks. It works perfectly, keeping the bikes more stable, immobile actually, than our "stand up" method.
any pix????
what sort of hardware did you use?
what did you attach the mounts to????
thanks
r
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Anyone ever tried one of the bike racks that just straps on? I have one from when I had Neon. Anyone know whether it can also strap to the Baja?