Dash Light Change

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Dash Light Change

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Hi all.

Does anyone know how to take the dash apart so I can get to the dash light to change it?

Does anyone know of a manual for the Baja 2005 turbo that would cover this that I could buy?

Dealer wants $300 to change a 50 cent bulb! :evil:

I could spend hours just experimenting and hunting on how to pull it apart.

Thanks
Last edited by Alpha Wolf on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Dash Light Change

Post by speedymatt »

PM newtosubies he just did a conversion from green to blue leds in the dash and gauge pack so he would probably have the most recent and complete info. i would think the haynes manual at your local auto store would cover it. if you can't find a baja specific one, the one for the 00-04 legacy and outback would work, for the most part they are the same mechanically, only the shell varies.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

Well I know that when I did my LED dash conversion, I used a Haynes Manual to get the jist of where the screws are, its actually really easy, I know you start at the plastic around the shifter, that just pops up, it has some clips that just pop in and out, (in my manual trans. I dont know if its the same in auto). Its two screws to take the lil change holder at the bottom of the dash out, you cant miss them, they are right there. then theres like 2 (maybe) screws near the 12V outlet that you take out, again, pretty easy to find, and then the silver trim around the radio and everything just pops out, again, with clips, you kinda have to pry it out, but being careful to not crack the plactic. and that bring you to the hazard light switch which can be unplugged from the harness. I think the plastic piece around the guages and over to the left vent all is one piece and just pops out. the next part it taking out the 4-5 screws that hold the gauges in, they are right there, you cant miss them, i think 3 on the inside edges, and two in the top. and then your gauges are out, you need to lower your steering wheel to the lowest postition too, btw. umm. yeah there are three harnesses on the top of the gauges, they unplug, then your guages are completely out. the lights are right there in the back, they just turn and pull straight out. I think thats about it. It sounds hard but when youre there looking at the car, its easy. I would suggest a haynes manual. they are good. the one I have says for the legacy and then it says also for 03-06 baja. its all the same anyways. Hope that helps!
whore out my car a lil more

Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Okay I will get a Chiltons.

I like what you did with your dash lights. Nice. I like the blue.

I need to change the stupid light in the clock/out side air temp window.
Turbo
Sixtwo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Sixtwo »

I have the exact same prob, Alpha Wolf, the bulb in the dash that illuminates the time/temp is dead...
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

I'm looking into buying some new light bulbs for my dashboard in the Baja but I'm not sure how many I need to get. Does anyone know how many are back in the dashboard area? I'm not good enough car wise or don't trust myself to tear apart my car to look. HAHA! :mrgreen:
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Well the manual calls for removing the steering wheel.
This involves an air bag which I have never dealt with. Is this necessary and if so how much of a hassle is dealing with the air bag?
Turbo
seaview
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by seaview »

I whacked the glass over the light and it came back on..............Pete L.
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

seaview wrote:I whacked the glass over the light and it came back on..............Pete L.
:wink: I am never that lucky.. LOL
Turbo
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

you definatly dont have to remove the steering wheel, just lower it to its lowest setting. you can slide the plastic piece out the side, (towards the passanger side) and you dont even bother with the steering wheel. That would be a huge pain! GL!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Got the little clear bulb $15 from Subaru and took console and dash apart.

I did not have to pull the steering wheel as the Hayes manual listed as I was just changing the bulb and not removing the unit.

I found the bulb was missing when I reversed the gauge unit. Considering how hard they are to turn in to get them mounted I found that hard to believe that it fell out.

Well it went a lot easier than I though. Not broken parts or left over parts!

Dash is fully lighted.

I wanted to do an LED conversion but wife said no and since it is her ride I had to go along.

Subaru wanted $350 to change that bulb! I took me about 1.5 hours taking my time and being careful as it was my first time taking the dash out. Definitely not a $300 job!
Turbo