Manual Transmission

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

jminor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Manual Transmission

Post by jminor »

are there any 6-speed manual transmissions in the Subaru family that would bolt-up to the 2.5L in the Baja? I'd love to have a sixth gear for cruzing to get the tach below 3k at 75 mph.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Manual Transmission

Post by Hawk296 »

Yes, all of subarus 6-speed transmissions will bolt up to the engine. You may have to get different driveshafts to fit. You could also swap out for a taller final drive in the front and rear of your existing setup and swap out the speedo gear so its accurate.
Subiesleeper68
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Subiesleeper68 »

Um... NO. While a six speed from an sti or Legacy Spec B WILL fit..... we have 4.44 final drive ratios and those cars typically have 3.90 PLUS we have female inputs in our 5 speeds and the 6 speeds have male. I was torn between the 6 speed conversion and PPG upgraded gears when the stock ones shredded from the mods I did. I decided against the 6 speed because it requires new front axles and hubs, driveshaft and an STI rear.
jminor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jminor »

WoW! very enlightening. Thanks.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Subiesleeper68 wrote:Um... NO. While a six speed from an sti or Legacy Spec B WILL fit..... we have 4.44 final drive ratios and those cars typically have 3.90 PLUS we have female inputs in our 5 speeds and the 6 speeds have male. I was torn between the 6 speed conversion and PPG upgraded gears when the stock ones shredded from the mods I did. I decided against the 6 speed because it requires new front axles and hubs, driveshaft and an STI rear.
You are correct, which is why I stated that he would have to replace such parts. You can use the 6-speed with an R160 rear of the proper ratio. If you do not wish to mix and match from from the Subaru parts bin, you can also have someone make some half shafts for you.

The fact is, it CAN be done, and it is not that hard. It is more expensive though and it is also significantly heavier than the 5-speed (does the baja really need more weight?) The 6-speed is a much stronger transmission, but with something like the PPG gearset that Subiesleeper used, the 5-speed can be beefed up to the point where you shouldn't have an issue.

Also, take a look at the ratios on the gearbox you want to use. Some of the STi transmissions really do not have a much taller 6th gear when compared to the 5 speed, the ratios are just closer together. The Spec B does have a taller top gear which will be better for highway cruising.

In my opinion, its probably not worth the cost or the hassle...