are there any ECU upgrades?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

kidjoe
Scoobytruck Contributer

are there any ECU upgrades?

Post by kidjoe »

I would like to upgrade Baja T with STI parts but from what I have read the sti ecu will not allow me to keep my cruise control. Is this because of a wiring difference between the STI and the Baja ? Is there a way to modify my own ecu? basically I'm asking for a little guidance, has anyone attempted this?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

I have reprogrammed my 05 Baja T ecu. You can do it for $75 yourself using the same free opensource tools that the WRX guys do.

Order the tatrix cable, go to openecu.org and download ecu flash. This lets you read and write to your ecu. At this point ide reccomend making a copy of your ecu as a backup.

Then once you have it you can edit it in a program (I prefer Enginuity),

You obviously have to know what you are doing to some degree. I basically changed all my table axis to match the 05 sti the best i could (some tables have more/less resolution) and from there based my maps on sti maps. So I have made a baja specific stage II STi map to run my baja T with VF39, sti uppipe, catless downpipe and sti intercooler.

You can also read and erase codes with this and turn off CELs (if you go catless for example).

And you can do datalogging with programs like tari ecu explorer (also free)

If you are interested I can give you some of my maps to look at, all you have ot do is download the free software to view them.

Its cool because all of the basic logic remains unchanged, but you have full control over the maps. This means your cruise control works fine.
steveorocks
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by steveorocks »

where can I find these opensource tools?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

First you need the cable found here http://www.tactrix.com/

then you need ecuflash to read/write to ecu found herehttp://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Then you need something to edit the maps like enginuity http://www.enginuity.org/

And datalogging software found here http://www.tari.co.za/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

I suggest buying the cable, registering at these sites, downloading the software, spend a lot time reading and playing arond with the software.

Then try some datalogging, and copy an image of your rom. Then from there make some tweaks and reflash, datalog again until you have somehting you like.

Also sites like http://www.osecuroms.org/ have some free maps which you can download. It kinda helps to see what people are doing so you have a starting point for yours.
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

Another helpful site might be http://www.wrxhackers.com - they have some knowledgable people over there.
BajaT05
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaT05 »

Hawk296 wrote:I have reprogrammed my 05 Baja T ecu. You can do it for $75 yourself using the same free opensource tools that the WRX guys do.

Order the tatrix cable, go to openecu.org and download ecu flash. This lets you read and write to your ecu. At this point ide reccomend making a copy of your ecu as a backup.

Then once you have it you can edit it in a program (I prefer Enginuity),

You obviously have to know what you are doing to some degree. I basically changed all my table axis to match the 05 sti the best i could (some tables have more/less resolution) and from there based my maps on sti maps. So I have made a baja specific stage II STi map to run my baja T with VF39, sti uppipe, catless downpipe and sti intercooler.

You can also read and erase codes with this and turn off CELs (if you go catless for example).

And you can do datalogging with programs like tari ecu explorer (also free)

If you are interested I can give you some of my maps to look at, all you have ot do is download the free software to view them.

Its cool because all of the basic logic remains unchanged, but you have full control over the maps. This means your cruise control works fine.

Hey, I have downloaded the stuff posted. Now I wanted to look into enginuity for the maps etc and I cannot open anything. Where are these definitions? And what are they? How can I play with the software? Also the car is auto, would that matter?

Thanks alot

Alex
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

When you download the most recent version of enginuity, the most current definition file is included. It must be in the enginuity folder and is labeled "ecu_defs.xml" the newest definition file is 4,777 KB (large because it inclueds all of the CEL's.) If the file is not there for osme reason you can download it seperatly from enginuity.org. when you download and unzip it you need to move it to the enginuity folder.

When you open enginuity go to edit and then definition manager and make sure it is following the correct path to your definition file.

To open the ECU ROM images, you need to have them downloaded individually and in a folder somewhere. You can download stock ROMS to look at from Openecu.org, just scroll to the bottom half of the page, fnd the year and model, and the most current revisions should be there.

All there is for the Baja are the two that i have posted for the 05 5mt baja T. If you get the cable pleas copy and upload your rom as ide like to see if its different.

After you download the ROM image that you want to look at and/or edit, open enginuty, go to file, open image, browse for the file you downloaded and it should open up and you can view and change all of the maps.

The fact that the car is an Auto should not matter at all. I have used this on a friends 4EAT WRX problem free. The only thing that might give you trouble is if you wanted to raise the redline or something, the car will probably still try to shift where it normally would. At this time I do not know of anyone who is able to reprogram the TCU. :(

As long as you make a copy of your stock ROM image and save it somewhere before you tweak it, You can always reflash back to stock. If the dealer tries to check it, youre stock ROM ID will come up. But they really wont do that unless you take it in for an issue that they have released a new calibration to re-flash as a fix, or they think you modded the ecu. It is important to note, Before running a your own maps, you have to enable the checksum fix or the car will go into limp mode. This checksum is how the dealer can bust ya if you go in with a tweaked ECU. So if you are worried about the dealer, just reflash back to stock before going in.

Edit: might be easier to find the ECU you want to veiw by getting it from here:
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... bilityList
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

this is a great thread, good info on here hawk... I may have to learn how to do this someday :wink:
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Hawk296 wrote:First you need the cable found here http://www.tactrix.com/
Which Cable is for the 2003 Subaru Baja Sport 4EAT (non-Turbo)?

Can this cable be used for diagnostics also, or just for tweaking the ECU?

Can it read trouble codes?

At least I could reset the CEL before taking the car in for inspection. Maybe I will wait for my 6 year /60k Subaru Added Security Warranty to run out (I just hit 34k miles).

Thanks...
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

davecoon13 wrote:
Hawk296 wrote:First you need the cable found here http://www.tactrix.com/
Which Cable is for the 2003 Subaru Baja Sport 4EAT (non-Turbo)?

Can this cable be used for diagnostics also, or just for tweaking the ECU?

Can it read trouble codes?

At least I could reset the CEL before taking the car in for inspection. Maybe I will wait for my 6 year /60k Subaru Added Security Warranty to run out (I just hit 34k miles).

Thanks...
Here comes the bad news. At this time I do not think it is compatible with the naturally aspirated baja. It DOES work with the electronic throttle NA cars and turbo subarus, but it has not been compatible with the cable throttle cars.

Do you know if you have a denso or a jecs ECU? There is a chance it will work if it is a denso, best bet is to find someone in your area with a cable to try it out before you buy one. Ask on Nasioc in your regional forum and see if anyone is willing to let you try theirs.

The cable CAN be used as a generic OBDII scan tool and reset CELs if you use the proper software (there is a free version out there that works with this cable) That will work on most cars regardless of make.

The only cable you REALLY need for a Subaru would be the DBW one($79). You can datalog and reset CELs on compatible subarus with that as well as read/flash DBW cars. The WRX/DBW one ($91) is the same thing but adds the 2 different flash block connectors. Those are only needed on 02-05 WRXs were the pins need to be shorted on the flashblocks, the same thing can be achives by making a jumper wire if you didnt want to pay for the connector.
Last edited by Hawk296 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Hawk296 wrote: Do you know if you have a denso or a jecs ECU? There is a chance it will work if it is a denso, best bet is to find someone in your area with a cable to try it out before you buy one.
I have no Idea, I am going to get a generic USB ODBII reader from Ebay...I am not worried about mapping or dataloging or re-flashing. Just troubleshooting and maintainence.