light bar/plate mount

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

light bar/plate mount

Post by bajabob »

I just picked up a Carr light wing in black to give me a spot to mount license plate and some lights. The bar is just temp mounted in the pics (I need to get a backing plate made for inside the bumper) . The lights are old 7" headlights I set in place for the pics - I'm planning on some hella's. <br><br>Bob<br><br>
Image<br><br>Image
Last edited by bajabob on Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Re: light bar/plate mount

Post by yellowblaze »

Hmm, nice, I like it!!
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

It looks nice. I had one like it on my 03 when I bought it. I got rid of it because the finish started to peel just after I bought the Baja.  :'(Thats when I went to the Outback license bracket. I'm planning  on a Mudrat bumper some time this spring. ;D Lots of cash for that, though!! Maybe after tax return.   Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

<br>Nice!  That seems like a good option.  
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hey Bob, watch the bar closely. Mine started to peel from the rear edge. :'( Maybe some clear coat would help it out. Looks like they just spray it black with no primer. My Baja went through one winter before I bought it, so maybe the salt started to eat it up. Mine was aluminum, whats yours made of????   Mike
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Mike<br> I belive it is powder coated aluminum - although it feels light enough to be plastic. Thanks for the warning I'll keep a eye on it - if it does start to peel it will get stripped and polished.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Bob, you might be right, the one I had may be powder coated. Next time I'm out in the shed I will take a look. I told my dad to scrap it for the aluminum, but I think its still out there with more old car parts. I'll take a good look at it and let you know. The one you have sure looks like the one I took off of mine.   Mike
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Finally got my lights and other goodies gathered up and ready to install <br>now if I could only get some warm weather :)<br><br>Image<br><br>Carr light wing<br>Hella ff200 driving lights<br>Hella supertone horns<br>assorted bulbs to replace originals<br><br>Bob
Baja_Turbo

Post by Baja_Turbo »

Whats the cost of the light bar?and where would i look to get one.Thanks ;D
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

They have a dealer locator on thier website -<br>http://www.carr.com/<br>I would guess somewhere around 75 US? I'm in canada so prices are a bit different. keep in mind mounting it is going to be a bit of work.<br><br>Bob<br>
Baja_Turbo

Post by Baja_Turbo »

Thanks Bob for the fast response. ;D
Texas S

Post by Texas S »

hey bajabob, have you tried asking your subaru dealer for a mounting backing?  Usually they have them laying around, ask your parts or service manager if he can hook you up.
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

[quote author=Texas S link=board=gen;num=1108241184;start=0#11 date=03/02/05 at 23:36:10]hey bajabob, have you tried asking your subaru dealer for a mounting backing?  Usually they have them laying around, ask your parts or service manager if he can hook you up.[/quote]<br><br><br>Do'h - now theres an idea I guess that would make things easy - thanks Texas
Texas S

Post by Texas S »

Have you installed your lights yet?  I was wondering if you could tie in to the stock wiring for the 'sport lights' up  to the crossbars....<br><br>I'm debating on whether to add driving lights (since I saw your sweet set-up), and it occurred to me that the Baja is pre-wired for the sport lights.<br><br>So theoretically you could use that to wire up the ones in front, maybe even buy the OEM switch to fill the blank above the ashtray?  I'm guessing that's what that blank is for, I don't know.<br><br>Could you even just pull the wiring that goes to the 3rd brake light and re-route it to the front?  ???
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

The Hella lights come with a good wire harness with them I plan on using that. Its made with good heavy wire with a relay and fuse built in - low resistance means brighter lights. I plan to set up the lights so they only will work with the high beams on and that is easy with the hella harness. <br> I had the impression that the parking brake had to be on for the sport lights to work - Yellowblaze might know the answer to this. The OEM switch sounds like a good idea and thats the right spot for it on US models. <br><br>Bob